I know that this new attitude is not a normal one for me, but I also know that I cannot possibly sustain doing something that I have been dreading for quite some time. So on yesterday's run, rather than continue to suppress my negative emotions, I decided to really explore why it is I felt that way. Here's what I came up with:
1. I am too exhausted to be getting up so early in the morning. Most nights I get about 6 hours of broken sleep (Ry likes to kick me in the torso all night). Because I already get up everyday with Ry at 5:45am, I've gotten kinda resentful having to get up even earlier (5am) on Saturdays to run.
2. I'm not a fan of the heat/humidity (acclimation is a concept lost on my overly active sweat glands). Ever since we moved back to HI, I've noticed that this has taken a lot of the 'zing' out of my step. I get tired faster, slower faster, etc. and just feel 'heavier' and weaker most of the time I'm out there. Not a good feeling.
3. I've gotten bored. I've been running for about 3 years now, and I've already done more than I ever thought I would- 4 marathons, dozens of half marathons, and I got back in (almost) pre-baby shape. But because I'm slipping rapidly downhill, it's killing my spirit to continue this way.
So on my run yesterday, I decided to finalize a plan that's been brewing in my head for awhile that I think, will solve all three of my problems. Ready?
I'm going to run for an hour or so, and then swim for an hour!
- I can sleep in an hour longer since I'll end my workouts in a cooler environment!
- I'll be much cooler for the second half of my workouts now!
- It's something new for me (new gear, new challenges, new lessons to be learned)!
- And as a bonus, I'll get a more well-rounded, full-body workout that's gentler on the joints!
I've talked it over with Roy, and he's in support of it. I kinda like the idea of being one step closer to a triathlete. So does this make me a biathlete? ;-)
I'm extremely excited about the idea of reinventing myself (hence the Madonna reference). But I'm also a little nervous about being able to follow through with it and whether I'll like it or not. I have to admit I'm also kinda eager to get a new outfit that can I both swim and run in. I've done a little research online, but I'm definitely overwhelmed. I do know that I'm not a fan of those suits that look like men's leotards/wrestling outfits. Eek. I don't need to look any more masculine. And I do know that since I want to run first (since the pool doesn't open until 8:15am), that I want to start off with some kind of spandex type shorts and shirt (to cover my thighs and chest so that I can wear a Fuel Belt without chafing), but then strip down to a sports bra top/bikini bottom for the swim (so I can even out the tan a little). Does such a thing even exist? Any ideas? I'm a total beginner again!!! :-) It's the perfect excuse to get all manic and crazy researching my heart out!
PS- We leave tomorrow for our two week vacay to WA & AK, so I can't get nuts on the new project until after we return!