We had a late start out of Kona, so rather than take the slightly longer, slower southern route through South Kona/Volcano, we decided to take Saddle Road to Hilo instead. We found our way over to Hwy 130 easily enough (which takes you through Pahoa, a town I last visited when I was probably 10). But where we went wrong was in trying to follow two very vaguely worded sets of directions. So we ended driving about 20 miles more than we needed too on some unpleasant roads, and having to ask a number of people for directions. It's truly a wonder why this park (which is really quite tucked away in the middle of nowhere) completely lacks signage...perhaps the powers that be (or the locals) kind of want to keep it kind of hidden? Administrative oversight? Because I think it's a gem, and I couldn't imagine a single visitor wanting to pass this place up!
The water is remarkably clear, and perhaps due to the purifying effects of the geothermal hot spring- I swear my skin felt softer and smoother once we were done. But don't quote me on this...it may have been more wishful thinking. :-)
I have to say, Ahalanui definitely makes my Top 5 list on the island, and a must-do for anyone, locals or visitors alike. I'm already planning a return trip with Ryan's cousins later this year, but with an overnight stay this time (to break up the driving). I think we spent close to 6 hours in the car yesterday, which was a whooooole lot more of Katy Perry's Firework than I'd ever wanted to hear (on repeat, Ryan's insistence) in one car ride. :-)
My list of the Big Island's best (in no particular order):
1. Volcano
2. Hapuna
3. Snorkeling at Kealakekua Bay (near the Capt. Cook monument)
4. Kiholo Bay (the actual bay and water-filled lava tube)
5. Pu'u Honua O Honaunau
The expanded list:
6. Makalawena
7. Waipio Valley
8. Liliuokalani Gardens (& the nearby canals/waterways), with your okazu-ya boxed lunch!
9. Kamakahonu
10. Oooh, this is getting tough...maybe Black Sand beach down in Punalu'u?
Our Directions (so you don't have to get lost, nauseous and bicker with your spouse): Take Hwy 130 out of Hilo toward Pahoa. Right after you pass the new shopping center in Pahoa, (trust me, you can't miss it), turn left at the next traffic light and take the winding road down. At the end of the winding road (near Isaac Hale park), turn left...and the park (Ahalanui) will be on your right between the 8 & 10 mileage markers. You won't see a large sign announcing the park, but it's the one with a gated parking lot and tons of cars fronting a few pavilions. Total driving time from the edge of Hilo is no more than 40-45 minutes, so it's a nice half-day trip from Hilo.
One more warning: The pool is pretty deep. I couldn't stand up in 95% of it, so it's not what you'd call keiki-friendly unless your child can swim independently. Be prepared to have to float or swim (vs. standing or sitting in the water) while you're there. :-) We brought a boogie board and a tube that we bought at a garage sale on the way out (that we handed off to some kids before we left) that were invaluable for Ryan!
No comments:
Post a Comment