Friday, November 15, 2013

San Francisco Days 1 & 2

Home again! Though it wasn't uneventful coming back. Due to some strong winds, we were both delayed and re-routed on our way home (with stops in Seattle and Portland) and didn't land until 2am PST. Thankfully, this was the only hiccup on our first trip as an extended family and we had a fabulous, exhausting trip (though I can honestly say I've never been on a vacation where I spent roughly 47% of my time putting the toilet seat lid back down, and the remaining time either feeding or scolding someone). :-)

It was definitely a different kind of trip for us. Less vacation-y, more chaperone-y? But again, deeply satisfying to have been a part of being able to help the boys experience two of our favorite cities. We were very appreciative of the entire opportunity, and dream of doing it again in a few years once we can save enough. We've even dreamed up one (slightly irrational due to the cost of the RV and gas) possibility- renting an RV and hitting the southwest- the Grand Canyon in AZ, the Gila cave dwellings, Carlsbad Caverns and White Sand Dunes in New Mexico... Those are all places we loved visiting pre-child, and know the boys would love.

But since we haven't won the lottery yet, back to this trip...

Our trip started in lovely San Francisco, where we were picked up by a car service...which almost didn't happen. When I called to reconfirm our reservation the day before, the driver thought we were coming in the following night. Thankfully, the driver arrived sober, in a large, luxurious (for us) Town & Country minivan and with a friend for the boys- his adorable puppy (rat terrier), Kona!

Kona & Ryan riding over the Bay Bridge
Our driver also put us up for the three nights we were there... Here he is with his nephew posse.
Cruising the City at Duboce Park
It was a daily tussle over whose turn it was to walk Kona
First stop was the Cable Car Museum before hopping a car down to the Wharf
I'm not sure who decided it was safe to let hyper children hang off a moving vehicle, but when in Rome... :-)
Yes, we are all color coordinated. The boys were planned, we were not! 

Uncle Joey treated everyone to an amazing outdoor lunch at Boudin...
We had sourdough bowls filled with their signature clam chowder, chili, and grilled cheese (to die for). Joey introduced me to the beauty of REAL grilled cheese a few years back. At first I was baffled at the $11-14 price tag for a grilled cheese sandwich, but now...I get it., I get it!
The boys toured the USS Pampanito submarine at the wharf courtesy of Uncle Joey.
Cruising Pier 39 and watching the sea lions up close


Enjoying the magic show at the Pier
Somehow, this person always, always ends up on stage with performers.
Ending our day at Lombard Street...where we both drove and scrambled up all 353 steps. :-)

1 comment:

Cindy said...

always love seeing the pics of you and the family/friends :)