Friday, November 17, 2017

Manila Days 1 & 2 - Intramuros & SM Mall of Asia

Before I even get to Manila, I have a Proud Mommy/Aunt Moment I'd like to share first:

The day before we left for Manila was the boy's annual karate tournament. Ry genuinely surprised us by winning his kata (form) division, and placing second in kobudo (weapons). Although he didn't have his best day in kumite (fighting), doing well in two out of the three disciplines thrilled us. The older the boys gets, the more competitive it is, so I was really worried he might not medal at all this year.

His cousins also had a wildly successful day, each netting an astounding three medals! And if you're wondering if it's easy to win medals at this point (I wouldn't blame you), I would say you're incorrect. The boys have the privilege and advantage of learning from the league's arguably most disciplined instructor. He's tough, demanding and...beyond amazing. Keni goes to practice four days a week, for two hours a day. And Ryan goes three days. So I suspect the fact that both boys practice more than the average student is also to their advantage. Riki goes less than them because of baseball, but is one of those rare, talented athletes who manages to perform very well under pressure (and I can say that because he's not biologically mine...so I have no influence on his natural talent).

Kata 
Kobudo


Kumite
The cousins
The boys with some of their dojo mates (the ones who competed) 
As much as I love my kid...I will say that he's not a natural, top notch academic or athlete. There are millions of natural born brains/superstars out there, but like his parents- he isn't one of them. However, because he works pretty hard, and more importantly, has great instruction, he was fortunate to have had a good tournament this year. I know not every year will be like this. Next year he could have a drought and be medal-less. It would break my heart, but I suppose that life doesn't always reward those who 'try hard,' and we will have to learn to accept that.

On that note, his very mediocre mother did something athletic that weekend as well. I ran 22 miles for the first time in two years. The run was slower than my screen shot indicates, as I don't think it counted the times when I stopped the clock for bathroom/water/rest breaks. I'm thinking it was much closer to 4:10+, which is pretty atrocious for a timed race, but not horrible for a training run.


I'm always happy to finish these long runs. It's all the work of a marathon, with none of the glory. ;-) I inevitably chafe in a number of very unmentionable places, my knees get pretty achy and I'm lazy the rest of the day. This weekend I will attempt a 24-miler after not having really run in Manila (only two short runs on a treadmill, which is like cheating since the AC was also blasting on me), so it'll be a test of mind over matter (since my matter has increased and become jelly over the last 12-14 days).

Okay, on to Manila!

It took a 40 min. inter-island flight, and then, thankfully, a direct 10h 40min flight from Oahu to Manila. All went very smoothly when we landed there in the later afternoon, except for perhaps the very toasty 90 degree heat/90% humidity.  

After picking up our wifi hotspot interwebnet connection from another terminal (this is the only airport I've ever been to where terminals are like, 10 min. cab rides apart) we continued another 45 min. through the thick traffic to our hotel. But it was an entertaining sight to see, and reminded me a lot of Bangkok and Vietnam.

We LOVED our hotel. Honestly, I'd rank it was one of the best hotel stays ever. Though no one thing stuck out memorably as 'the best' ever, it was more an overall gratitude that absolutely nothing was bad either. We had eight great nights of sound, cool sleep in a spacious, modern apartment with very helpful and kind staff. There was also a gorgeous pool and daily, hot, made to order breakfast...so really, what's not to love? The price was also reasonable for what we got, and I suspect it would cost double of what we paid in the states for the same thing.

We celebrate a good check in with some sofa-top twerking. Cause you know...that's HOW. WE. ROLL.
The location of our hotel was also quite nice- walking distance to the historical center of Intramuros, San Augustine cathedral/museum, Rizal Park, the Ocean Park, and a massive mall (Robinsons Place) to cool off/grab dinner at the end of each day, etc. There was also immediate access to tricycles (the Philippine version of a of a simple taxi- a motorcycle attached to a side car), taxis, jeepneys, etc. just about everywhere.

The jeepney has a fascinating history in the country...if you're bored, Google it! It serves as the primary form of transportation for many locals- cabs are packed and rife with pickpocketing, taxis are pricey/unethical, tricycle rides can be harrowing...so the jeepney fills the need! Their routes are written along their sides, and fares are passed up front to the driver.
Our hotel was right near these tricycles, but we never caught them since there were three of us (too heavy, and too many people to expect someone to manually pedal us around). Rich always had to ride on the back of the motorcycle/driver in order for us to fit safely.

I always forget about the love for corn and sweet potato-flavored treats in Asia. ;-) As much as I love corn, and food in general, I can't say I've ever been tempted to indulge! ;-)
Our second day in Manila, we set off for Rizal Park (pretty, but not worth a special trip). We did at least manage to learn that the park was built in honor of Jose Rizal, a Filipino nationalist who was executed by the Spaniards during their colonization of the islands. If you're a history buff, click on his name to learn more about his truly fascinating life before he was executed.


From the park, we continued on to the walled 'city' of Intramuros. But first, we needed to cool off from the heat with a trip to a local, artisanal Filipino coffee shop, but you've probably never heard of it, because there are not a lot of them out there (Starbucks).


We explored the reasonably well-preserved buildings of Intramuros, but I was pretty determined to see San Augustin, as I love visiting religious buildings- churches, temples, mosques, cathedrals. Though I was little surprised that there was admission ($4 per person), I soon realized you're also paying for the museum that is within.



The exterior is so unassuming, you'd never know what beauty is in inside.
Though the architectural style there is Baroque, I will tell you that the interior is 'Harry Potter'.
 

The beauty of traveling off season is that despite dire warnings of massive crowds everywhere, nearly every place we went was never crowded. It was just us and the cleaning lady in the cathedral.
I have visited more than a few places that reeked of death and destruction, but this crypt was quite serene and peaceful. I believe it was once a monastery dining hall before it was converted.
Although I know this was not the dining table of the 'Last Supper,' I couldn't help but think of that when we saw this piece.
My lens wasn't large enough to capture the entirety of this stairwell and brick-covered dome, but it was stunning. Believe it or not, Ryan is in this picture...somewhere. See if you can find him!
 

There was once a time when I think Ryan was at least somewhat interested in historical buildings, but we may be entering that period where if it's not a video game or a tin of Pringles...he's really not very interested. ;-) All he kept asking about (while in the church, mind you) was when we would be done so that he could go ice skating! Shameful...but DEFINITELY my kid!!! :-D
Because it was now midday, roasting hot, and Ryan was 'done' with the history of the park/walled area, we caught a cab down to the SM Mall of Asia (the 11th largest in the world according to Wiki). I had so enjoyed the beauty and splendor of the malls in Dubai, that I was looking forward to this mall too. But oh my...what genius didn't make this mall entirely air conditioned? Holy shite was it HOT. This sweaty girl (on a good day) became an absolute PUDDLE. Thankfully, like most ice rinks, this one was near 'Arctic.' The downside of that is that this rocket scientist brought her scrawny, fat-adverse son there in shorts, a t-shirt, skimpy short socks and NO hat/gloves. He was blue and shivering within minutes, so to stop him from freezing/mummifying- I bought him a very unattractive set of hat/gloves from the gift shop. Twice.  (Since we forgot them the second time we returned to the rink. Geniuses, I say!)

While at the way-too-large-and-hot SM Mall of Asia, we decided to try out the PI version of McDonald's- Jollibee! It was a one and done kinda visit, as the strawberry fries we tried out were...kinda strange?
The only rink we've ever been too that required safety helmets, but I kinda liked that! 
On the looong cab ride home stuck in traffic, I had a 9-year old SO bored that he decided to help me style my hair. I'd say this is def still worth rocking (even if it's not 1985).

No comments: