We got home the beginning of December, and since then- it's been a blur of a holiday season. I didn't do a very good job of living in the moment, as it was more about 'survival' most weeks. But that's going to change in a bit, as my top resolution this year is to simplify our lives- namely, mine. It's just been an unfortunate confluence of so many things happening at once in Dec/Jan- working three jobs (I added one in Oct), having a bad cough for nearly 7 weeks, training for a half, co-hosting a wedding for a family friend, helping my brother list/rent/rehab a condo in poor condition, a friend who got into a traumatic accident, Ryan's usual crazy schedule, trying to get my vandalized car repaired, the usual holiday baking/get-togethers with family/friends and...nervously fine tuning up a project I've had in my brain for quite some time.
But I'm being a tad melodramatic here. It wasn't ALL rush-rush-rush and go-go-go, there were some pretty amazing moments that I treasure- we celebrated four birthdays of family and friends at a few fun locations, I helped make mochi for the first time ever (Shh! Don't tell anyone, or I'll lose my Asian card!), renovated our backyard a bit, saw a longtime friend get married to a pretty amazing bride, enjoyed visiting with my brother who flew in for the holidays, rang in the New Year with the best neighbors in K-town and family (we made our annual air pollution contribution by blowing up an arsenal of fireworks my father acquires each year), a longtime friend visited and gave me some Big Island macadamia nut honey from their farm and raw macadamia nuts...which felt like Christmas to me. So really, now that I think back. it was pretty darn satisfying no matter if things felt a little cuckoo at times.
I can't even start to list out all that whizzed by, but here's a try in pictures, in no particular order:
 |
| School breaks = time with longtime friends you never see enough |
 |
| Decorating gingerbread houses with his brother from another mother |
 |
| Decorating a festive wagon for his cousins to ride in at the Christmas parade... |
 |
| Marching in the Christmas parade with the Japanese students group, handing out origami ornaments |
 |
| Decorating our tree at home with some help from the big guy |
 |
| Celebrating with family for the holidays with a rousing game of Bingo |
 |
| Decorating ugly Christmas sweater cookies with his cousins |
 |
| Enjoying his Christmas loot from family, friends and neighbors |
 |
| Watching his cousins open up their fun Christmas morning gift! |
 |
| Celebrating the New Year with his cousins with a ramen dinner and arcade time |
 |
| Just like the old days...when his cousins slept over! |
 |
| Beach time with friends |
 |
| Spending time with his Uncle Joey/Musubi, who was in town visiting |
 |
| I got to help drive these two to their first dance together...so cute! I've been witness to their friendship since the 3rd or 4th grade! |
 |
| Spending 10+ hours on our feet helping to make 500 lbs. of mochi for the first time...tiring but a fascinating process. I thought we made a lot, until Riki told me his Buddhist temple made 1,500 pounds. |
 |
| Riki's first Winterball... |
 |
| ...and Military Ball! I remember when this kid was learning to talk! Now he's a dancing machine with three tattoos and a kid on the way. (I may have exaggerated a few points for dramatic purposes. Or all.) |
 |
| Ry had a blast with friends at a birthday party on rented beach equipment! |
...and last but not least, we helped my younger brother's longtime friend by having their wedding at our house. I'm no fool, so I didn't volunteer to do decorations or meal prep. (We don't hate their guests!) So instead, I offered to do the appetizer table! And because I still lack talent to actually cook real food that requires pots, pans or an oven, I went with cold foods- cheese, crackers, grapes, prosciutto/cheese/olive baguettes, olive tapenade, crudites/hummus and apple/brie/spinach/fig jam baguettes. I won't say they were wildly beloved by anyone in attendance, because they're not local cuisine, but they were definitely made with love. Well, love, and lots of ingredients from Costco.


So December & January were a bit...much. Definitely not dull. But while I'm still young-ish, honestly, I'll take it. I know life will just get a whole lot slower and lonelier as we age. I can't even imagine the day when Ry and all his four cousins are all off living their own lives. But I imagine it'll be something like this- Rich and I sitting quietly on the porch (I'm moderately obese again), eating our well-cooked, soft yams and liver off paper plates, dropped off by Meals on Wheels (cause I still haven't learned to cook). So for now, I'll take the insanity, never having enough time, complaining about never having enough time, eating my feelings as a result, complaining about eating my feelings and not being able to fit my clothes, etc. It's really pretty magical!
1 comment:
Enjoy your insanity...such is life! When the insanity is gone you are flat-lining and NO ONE wants that! HA!
Post a Comment