Sunday, January 17, 2021

17 days into 2021...

I have forgotten most of my 2021 goals, already...so we are right on target so far! ;-) Been a tad too busy to really focus on 'bettering myself' and more focused on 'medicating myself' to get through this, quite honestly.  Energy levels are not too hot these days, and excessive consumption of crap comfort food apparently does not help (who knew?). 

Last week was rough- there was a late night at work where I didn't get home until 9:30pm...we had to calculate our quarterly taxes, which was sucky and error-filled...we bought a new sofa (so hauling, assembling, moving)...I helped a relative nab their dream job (stressful, as it complicated a few other matters)...a friend of Rich's needed some help...I made the worst mistake of my career at work...a fridge went out in a unit (third one in less than ten years for that unit)...I forgot my wallet at Safeway late one evening, but was lucky to find it where I left it when I went back...I made two trips to Kaiser and one to the hospital (but ALL is well), the stock market is going a little cuckoo...I made a million unsuccessful calls trying to get info for 1B tier participants (essential food service workers) but could NOT, etc. 

It didn't feel so hot, to be honest. And it sorta feels like every week is like this. I certainly do not feel sorry for myself, but it is sad not being able to see friends, go on vacation, garden, read much, travel, etc.  

That being said, last week also brought wonderful moments too, and I need to mindful of that:

  • We sold our car, and we are steps closer to getting the 'new' one repainted! Maybe a month away? Until then, I get to drive a car that is possibly blowing peeling paint chips in the wind, spreading asbestos here and there.
  • We finally got a few sofa after three years of Ryan destroying our other one. ;-) (This is our fourth one in twelve years, he is not kind to furniture.)
  • I got to have a walks, runs and meals out with family and friends this week, a rarity.
  • Ryan went on his farthest run yet- 7 miles!
  • He also started to run hills and lift weights once or twice a week with Riki-chan. 
  • He now runs with and hits up Starbucks with Aunty Lynne regularly as well...so he's getting in some added family time and exercise...a double win for am otherwise tech freak.
  • I am very grateful for all of the many delicious heat and eat meals from Costco. Without them, we would surely perish. This week I 'made' us coconut Thai curry/brown rice, eggplant parmigiana and teriyaki udon with brussel sprouts and tofu in a sweet chili sauce. Ryan only disliked 90% of my 'cooking.' So you know...VICTORY.
  • I may have saved the life of our yellow heirloom tomatoes, who were dying from a fungal infection. I have never done this before, and I'm ready to an air a gardening segment for the masses to share my wealth of expertise.
  • My dear friend TJ gifted me with a surprise orchid at work on Friday...very kind, especially since the last orchid she gave me is sadly languishing... But I am determined to better! This one will not end up like the other three, I swear!
  • It rained twice this week. HARD. The kind that soaks the ground and trees. The kind that helps reverse the damage a stupid gardener would cause by using pesticide that is NOT plant-friendly, and nearly kills everything it sprayed (I shall not mention names, but she is a known plant murderer and lives in my house).
A few pics of the last two weeks:




Reading his mama's book with her glasses


So in the big picture, I have nothing to complain about. It's normal to get run down. Who doesn't? Time to buck up and power through, stop the whining and be grateful for having a roof, food, wheels and peeps to shelter me during this pandemic. Because in my world...COVID is real, folks. Hospitals aren't in on the 'scamdemic', pretending to be full. Nor are the patients in on it pretending to not be able to breathe. Stop being so quick to believe far more convoluted explanations when there may be a simple one- we are suffering from the first serious pandemic in our lifetime. However, we have the privilege to have the tools to beat it (essential jobs, PPEs, western medicine)...so we owe it to others to not play with their lives and be as safe as we can. Planning protests because we don't like masks (and see it as the loss of a liberty) is an entitlement I will never understand. I understand concerns over government overreach and socialism, but wearing a mask in a pandemic is not the same thing.

No comments: