Sunday, August 14, 2022

The slightly delayed 25th anniversary party!

We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary in Venice this past May, but since that was only with Rich, Ry and I...we'd always planned on having a friends/family celebration as well. However, with the recent COVID spike of BA.5 and the difficulties in both gathering everyone together at once...as well as getting a reservation for a large group at most restaurants...we decided to hit up Huggo's...a legendary institution on the water of Oneo Bay, and a place I call 'home.' 

I had the great honor of getting to know Hugo von Platen Luder over the past few years, before he passed away last fall. Growing up, I remember reading his regular Letters to the Editor, and for decades, I had heard of the von Platen Luder family's restaurants. And over the last few years, I have gotten to know the Huggo's ohana and the unique spirit of Aloha they exude...which made it a memorable place to want to celebrate with my family.

A few very special people surprised us by giving us some decorated oceanfront tables, with rose petals leading to a small, intimate, nearly private balcony...

The chefs signature dishes were also on display with sizzing shrimp skillets, garlic bread and pupu platters with sashimi, poke and Hugo's teriyaki steak!

Only one person got prime rib, with most of the group getting NY steaks or the signature ahi.

We ended the night with some coffee mudpie, handmade from scratch and the size of your head!

Rich wrote an 'ode to the family' thanking each person for welcoming him to the family as well, which was the very best way to end the night!

Needless to say, it was the perfect, unforgettable evening with 13 family members (only missing two F family members- Joey & Marc in Seattle)! The staff and company made the night what it was, and we had a great time! So very grateful to Rich in sticking it out with me so that we can celebrate a milestone like this together!

No comments: