On our last day in Kyoto, we woke up by 6:30 so we could finish packing, check out of our apartment and head to town to nab a prime seat for the Gion Matsuri Parade. Mika told us over 200,000 people had crowded the city streets the night before, so we were worried about having to stand five people deep for hte parade and the boys not being able to see anything. As it turned out, we ended up having our pick of the entire street of Kawaramachi...so we chose a nice shaded area next to a cafe with refreshments and restrooms.
Because we had two hours to kill before Mika and the boys got there, we had the unfortunate experience of having to tell about 100 elderly Japanese people that our bags were laying on the sidewalk because our family was coming. This was relatively easy to explain and pantomime, but it felt horrible! Who likes to shoo off a feeble great-gramps who can barely shuffle along? We finally ended up sacrificing half our original saved space and cramming ourselves into a tiny area so we could share the space with about 17 other elderly people (I wish I were kidding...well, I am...a little...but those people sure can push and shove).
.JPG) |
| The giant wooden hoko (floats) are pulled by men. They are so tall/large that the utility crews have to precede them by removing all of the overhanging street lights/power lines. |
.JPG) |
| There is music playing, chanting, fans fluttering...it's all quite entertaining to watch. |
.JPG) |
| I always felt bad for this guy. He looks like he's carrying end tables by himself! (And I'm quite sure this is the exact historical and cultural interpretation of his actions...). ;-) |
.JPG) |
| Each hoko is quite different up close...particularly the tapestries hanging from each one. Also, check out the men sitting casually on the top! |
.JPG) |
| The parade crew! Not shown- Rich, Mika and her mother. |
.JPG) |
| The boys were over the somewhat repetitious parade of hoko after awhile (the parade is 2+ hours-long), so we took a short tonkatsu break! Here are the boys grinding up their sesame seeds for the sauce. |
.JPG) |
| At the tonkatsu restaurant |
.JPG) |
| Rich and his lovely wife, Mika. :-) |
.JPG) |
| We proved to the boys that they're still 'our babies' (they insisted on sucking their thumbs after this pic was taken). |
.JPG) |
| After lunch, Rich spotted a geisha sitting under an umbrella watching the parade. Rare viewing in daylight! She attracted quite a bit of attention, even among the Japanese, who also rarely see them. |
.JPG) |
| My favorite hoko...the fune (boat) one! |
After the Matsui and lunch, we headed back to Mika's family's house to hang out for a few hours and shower before heading for the airport. Here's a picture of Ryan near the Osaka version of the speedy Haruka (airport express train)- the Nankai Rapid train. He was a little saddened that we didn't ride it this time (we took a regular express, nearly as fast, cheaper). But after a week in Japan spending much more than we'd anticipated on train fare, temple admission, meals and souvenirs for Ryan, it was time to economize. :-)
.JPG)
At the Kansai airport padded play area, filled with all kinds of wonderful strains of germs! But Ryan loved it, and I loved that he could romp before having to sit for 8-9 hours. He passed out cold for most of the red-eye flight back home, where we were once again given the same empty row of bulkhead seats in the front of the plane. Or should I say, Ryan I were give them. Because Rich was upgraded to First Class. :-) I could have been upgraded too, but Ryan was too young to secure a seat up front. So it was Rich's intent to switch seats with me halfway, but the flight attendant said it was a security risk (I have been told that I look very threatening and terrorist like). ;-)
.JPG)
All in all, a wildly successful trip that we were soooo very lucky to take. It was steamy, yes. But without a doubt, hands down- I think it was Ryan's favorite international trip and our least stressful one (since we've lived there). I'm so grateful to Mika and her family for their hospitality, and for our friends for getting us such a great discount on the international leg. Arigatou gozaimashita to vibrant, cultural Kyoto-shi as well, for giving me new memories of a city that will last a lifetime.
1 comment:
looks like a great trip! why get up so early? dawn is usually the most humid time of day, next time sleep late!
Post a Comment