Midday yesterday (Saturday), even after a long run that normally clears my mind...I felt what can only be described as 'on the verge of going postal but without the violent urges'? Thankfully, my faithful partner in life really stepped up- he took care of the termite issue one day on his lunch break, delivered a new washer to the unit yesterday. did the dishes and laundry for me and came with me to help me pick out my new scrubs. He and my mom also helped make all the leis for the stage crew. And even though he has a matinee show today, he just finished taming the yard and changing the oil in our cars. I also wouldn't have survived without my parents and brother watching Ryan for two days and shuttling him around to all his karate and swim practices until I could pick him up.
The chaos isn't quite over yet- I still need some carpooling help for the next two days while I continue training. And once that's done, I'll return to the same sub teaching assignment I've had the last few weeks for the rest of this week. But I feel like I'm past the worst of it, and hindsight has helped with perspective.
I am incredibly grateful that this was a brief blip on the radar for me. So many mothers are single, full time working parents without family nearby...and I cannot fathom the energy they need to get by.
I'm also quite grateful that I have the opportunity to start a supplemental new job that seems quite interesting, and has already exposed me to many kind and intelligent people. It's also the industry that my partner works in daily, so oddly enough...we are coworkers! It's kind of cool.
I'm grateful that because of my brother and parents, Ryan didn't miss any of his sporting activities last Thursday and Friday, and he had his first sleepover in over a year (and enjoyed it).
I'm grateful that we have jobs to pay the bills, and that we're all healthy and happy.
I'm grateful that my bestie is back from her trip to the East Coast, and will soon be willing to listen to me dramatize how difficult the last 3-4 weeks of teaching/training have been.
I'm grateful for the coolest October in history, which makes for some pleasant runs.
I'm grateful that four weeks of steady work = less free time to eat, which has helped me to lose the last of the ten pounds I'd gained over the last couple of years (which means I can finally fit all of my elastic-free shorts (why do these even exist when you're over forty)?!
I'm grateful to the friends, who run with me, laugh with me, support me and challenge me to become a better person...Y, V and R. And of course, for KT and KH, who have been at my side for many moons, and know me inside and out.
I'm grateful that the weekend before the insanity started...we were treated to a two-night stay at the Hilton by my brother and SIL. There is nothing more this girl needs than her people, a gorgeous hotel room with a powerful air conditioner, and 50% off all resort food & beverages. ;-)
I'm grateful that my spouse gets to laugh and perform in a play with so many other witty, creative friends, and that our family was able to come out and support him on a very successful opening night.
I'm grateful that chaos brought to light all that I should be grateful for.
![]() |
| Hilton fun |
![]() |
| Even though he's been gone for 2325382 hours over the last 6 weeks, I'm happy he's been able to pursue his passion and have fun. |
![]() |
| Even better? Cousin Keni helped him go fishing...he had a few nibbles, and they caught one tiny, semi-poisonous, spiny fish that they threw back...so no free dinner for us tonight. ;-) |





No comments:
Post a Comment