- I've been at school 1-2 days each week subbing (it's always nice to get to hang out with my former students and colleagues).
- A friend opened a gorgeous new tea shop (check out 'Tea-licious' if you're in Kona!), which has me there almost daily either socializing or helping out a bit. I'm getting an education in the art of tea, the world of F & B (I have no experience), getting fatter from all the pastries I've been sampling, and having fun with two wonderful friends.
- After two full weeks of rest (post-fall), I started to go out on a few short walks and runs (1/2 a mile one day, 2.5 miles the second, 6.0 the third, and 8.5 the fourth). Clearly, patience is not my strong suit. I still have a ways to go to get back to where I was (I'm even slower than usual, which I didn't know was possible), but right now I'm just happy to be mobile again that I'm not going to complain!
- Rich worked late 4 out of 5 days last week. This is great for the family checkbook, bad for my poor husband, who doesn't get to see the light of day for days on end, and is very tired/stressed. It also meant our Valentines dinner was 4 nights late and very simple/humble fare (since he's tired), but all that mattered was that he was home for dinner with us!
- A kind and generous friend of ours donated some of their gorgeous succulents to my friend's tea shop (which we planted in tea cups for tables)..and there was so much left over, I got to keep some (see below)! My plan is pass on the love/goodness to others who deserve it (I just bought a few gorgeous ceramic planters today for that very purpose). Very excited!
- After three consecutive weeks of garden neglect, I went back out there yesterday and attempted to tame the jungle. I forgot how calming it can be to prune, harvest, compost and plant. I just wish I were better and more consistent at it. Imagine the possibilities!
- Ryan had the most amazing school project for their health/nutrition unit. Each small group in his class was tasked with developing a business plan for a food truck, complete with marketing materials and the construction of their own food truck. The families got to attend and purchase food from their food trucks, which was beyond awesome. I love his adorable school!
- I signed up for my first 'race' in well over a year. It's only a 10k, and coming off an injury...I don't expect to break any records or even perform 'decently.' But a friend is training for Lavaman and I thought she should do it, so I figured I should do it with her (though she'll leave me at the starting line)!
- On the note of signing up for something, Rich and I volunteered to both usher at the local theatre's production of "Jesus Christ Superstar"last week, and at a brewer's festival next month (that benefits Ryan's school). It's rare that we have the time to do these things, but they're both for such wonderful organizations that so much good that we have to.
- After being staunch 'anti gun' (for us, you keep doing you if you're a hunter/mentally-sane gun freak/live near bears) for many, many decades, we have decided we may change our minds on that. Rich took a gun safety class with a friend and is now the proud owner of a walk in gun-safe (buried underground next to our buckets of dried potatoes) and 14 new guns)! Just kidding. But he did take the class, and enjoyed it. He's encouraging me to do the same, but I'm still leaning toward using the very valuable Tae-Bo I
danced tolearned back in the 90s to defend our house and home. - And the best news of the week? The immigration ban is no more! It was a wonderful reminder that individually, we can and do still make a difference! Every call to our elected officials, every dollar given to the ACLU, every post and personal story shared...they ALL collectively helped to protect the foundation of our country- freedom for all, not just the select few who came before us.
A few pictures of the last three weeks...
![]() |
| The gorgeous succulents from our friends C & E that now bear their names. :-) |
I still have many things to work on- a pile of bills to pay and file, a still-hairy garden, the 5+ lbs. I've gained since the holidays/injury sideline, floors that look like a barn, etc. But it's the weekend and we three have far more important things to do- chat with friends and neighbors, watch a play, practice improv, got to a baseball game, build Lego structures, run to Costco, find new pillows, package more tea, run a few miles, scarf some junk food, enjoy a play date, repair a washer/dryer unit...all the good stuff you do on a three-day weekend. Hope you're all enjoying yours!




No comments:
Post a Comment