I posted this on FB page today, because I couldn't stomach the hypocrisy of our leader and his lovely Alt-Right followers any longer.
I've tried to avoid getting political on here, but the last two days have been too tumultuous of a roller coaster to remain silent...
Lesson of the day for this guppy brain?
Remembering to focus not on the sourest lemon I've ever tasted (Trump's poorly drafted Muslim ban & those that support it), but instead sip on the sweetest lemonade I've EVER drank (thousands of white, black, brown, yellow and purple Americans of all faiths who are bravely and selflessly standing, cheering and fighting their hearts out in airports for their release).
I applaud the protester's courage, conviction and am so incredibly blessed to be from a country where we have the freedom to openly protest the most powerful leader in the Free World without threat of imprisonment or worse. I only pray others, ESPECIALLY those who translated/supported our forces alongside our soldiers (under fear of death) get the same rights and protections (that were promised to them).
And to those who have been separated, blocked or detained...I apologize a million times over. Our Lady Liberty is not a failed symbol or a joke...I truly believe most Americans remember our immigrant history, and know that you are as deserving as any of us to be Americans. Unlike those of us who have luckily inherited our privilege on the coattails of our ancestors, you have EARNED it. You have suffered, wept, traveled thousands of miles and valiantly fought to be here. I hope and pray that our voices are heard, and that we spread open our arms wide to welcome the well-vetted, terrified and hardworking Syrian refugees, their children, persecuted LGBTQ, allied soldiers and other innocents...
If you're looking to donate...here's where we selected for our donation:
I don't get it.
I'm confused. I'm worried. I'm aghast. I'm disappointed.
But I can't give up, turn off my newsfeed, or look away. Because at some point, people were willing to risk themselves for MY people who crossed the ocean. So I owe it to do what I can, in voice and with my wallet, to try and help them. I hope many others can do the same. :-)
1 comment:
Well said!! He and his staff are like children. It is embarrassing as a country.
Post a Comment