Life has been changing at a rapid pace lately. If I think about it too much, I get sweaty palms...so I'm trying to focus on successfully getting through each day vs. thinking about all of the different obligations/commitments that I'm juggling at the moment:
- We're still in the middle of the renovation...momentum has stalled a bit due to inspections and sub contractor schedules, so we're still waiting on the second half of some electrical work, drywall installation, gutters, flooring panels and tile.
- Rich just wrapped up 7-weeks of rehearsals/performances, but was just cast in an upcoming play (which means another 9-weeks of rehearsals/performances). Collectively, he'll be busy for about sixteen weeks straight...most nights of the week. :-| We just did this a year ago, when he was cast in a play that lasted about 9 weeks, and then immediately volunteered as a co-producer for the next play (the phrase 'I will cut you' may have come up a few times in our marriage at that time). He does a great job of trying to balance husband/father/household duties, which is why I'm totally willing to work with him during these opportunities, but it's not easy. We don't see him five days a week, finances suffer a bit when he doesn't get to work any OT, and I'm on my own for the most part.
- I'm also a bit of a deer in headlights because I started a new HR job last week (that will have me working out of town a few days here and there, making transportation issues a bit of a challenge). I also feel a bit rusty and dusty in this area of HR, but I'm finding my footing, slowly. If I think too hard about 'hard' the new job is, I'll easily intimidate myself into thinking I can't do it. But it's just 'different' more than it is 'difficult,' so I have to take deep breaths and approach it like my ultra- day by day.
- And on that note (of the ultra)...now that the decision(s) have been made to race 31 miles, I'm very grateful for the easy program I've chosen to follow. Week #1 of training went like clockwork despite the heat and tighter schedule. I did all of my workouts as planned (26 miles) and without any added pain/discomfort. That's mostly because my speed and hill workouts were very light, and I've been averaging about 26 miles a week anyway. However, the pain in my left buttock and knee hasn't improved, so I'm upping my chiropractic visits to twice a week to see if that helps. I also need to stretch more.
- Though the idea to transition to a vegetarian diet in tandem with my ultra training sounded like a good idea (and it is), it's still not a seamless process. Last night I spent a few hours in the kitchen cooking two vegetarian meals for the week. Neither tasted fantastic, if I'm being honest (not a big deal), but I feel a little anxiety about all of this change for Ryan. I initally didn't think the change would be much for Ryan and I, since we eat very little, but I forgot how much he loves dairy. Though we're not vegan, we're experimenting with soy/almond/rice milk to reduce his milk intake, and reducing our yogurt consumption. He hasn't found substitutes that he likes yet, and I know he's bummed about it. I'm trying to make the transition a long, slow and flexible one to minimize the shock value. I've also continually assured him that he can eat whatever he wants when he's out with others, as vegetarian options in our little town aren't always foods he likes (he is not a raw salad eater, or a lover of pasta). Though things are a little shaky right now, I'm sure in time, this will work itself out...or not. I will be okay either way. So will he. I've told Rich that parents make so many decisions for their kids (school, homework, diet, sports, etc), that I'd like him to have some choice on this issue. Though I feel okay telling him that soda, Doritos and Ding Dongs aren't coming into this household, I don't want to force vegetarian/veganism on him, as it will undoubtedly backfire.
Fortunately, I was distracted from all of the change going by a few fun things going on too:
 |
| Our lucky little guy got his first choice of interest group at school- horses! Along with five other kids, he is learning how to groom, clean stalls/refill water, visited a tack room and met a new pony! One of the teacher at his school is kind enough to open up her family ranch to the kids. I'm hopeful I can accompany them a few more times (but a number of days I'm scheduled to sub teach conflict with his group). :-( |
 |
| This was, by far, his least favorite part of the group...but it's good for him to learn that all living creatures come with a huge responsibility (a lesson that didn't sink in with him when he had a dog for a year and a half). |
 |
| I scored a number of great reads from the library...some of them brand new (a luxury not often enjoyed). I just wish I had more time to read these days! One of the books is written in our hometown, so it's really cool reading about local sites and knowing exactly what the author is talking about. |
 |
| The Camping Club finally did some camping this year! Our group of family and friends spent time at this beautiful beach this past weekend. It's never easy (lots of planning, packing and coordination) or my comfort zone, but the kids had fun, so I was happy and grateful and content! |
 |
| A little QT with the baby daddy before he gets super busy! |
 |
| Grandpa tried to teach Keni (our only hunter-gatherer) how to throw net. |
 |
| Fishing at sunset...no luck, but the anticipation, beauty and laughter make it worth it. |
 |
| The camping crew...I treasure these days, they're already passing way too quickly. |
 |
| Ry got to go two awesome pool parties the last two weekends. This one had a watermelon eating contest (and shocker- he didn't place last!) and other great games I have to copy someday! The other one had five schoolmates and two giant floatie swans at a gorgeous pool that is to die for. |
Oh, and though I don't have a picture of this...my Prius finally has a repaired AC after weeks of suffering. I have a
whole new level of empathy for people without an AC in their car. But it's fixed, thanks to our maestro of a mechanic, and I can finally arrive at destinations without looking like I'm the middle of a hot flash. Things have also stopped breaking left and right, which is a relief!
I think it's fair to say that life is a mixture of pleasure and pain at the moment...and that seems pretty fair. ;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment