Thursday, August 10, 2017

Diary of a Renovation (& more)

Pre-renovation...a tent (that loves to fly in high wind, and is weighted down by 5-gallon buckets holding dirt/lava rock) covers the open-air patio from rain...planter boxes lining the border of the lanai have been removed and rope has been strung as a temporary railing. Although it's all very stunning and attractive and ready for the cover of a magazine, we still need to renovate a bit more. It's hard to top this design aesthetic and beauty, but we will still try.
The last month has probably been the most exciting Rich and have had in awhile, because we finally started construction! We've waited quite a long time to get our lanai covered/flooring redone (our lanai is damaged from a decade of rain exposure). In the meantime, it hasn't been safe, or pretty out there. It's slippery when wet, and there are more than a few soft spots in the exposed, aging panel boards. I can even cultivate mushrooms/other fungi in the damp corners! (A definite plus.)

About two years ago, Rich started the initial legwork of getting the original house plans from the architect, having new plans for the needed renovation drafted and stamped, submitting them to the county and securing our contractor.

However, since our new contractor has come on board and started work a month ago, it's fallen largely on me to coordinate all of the sub work while Rich is at work and rehearsals- gutters, railings, tile setter, designer, electrical, paint, roofing, etc. I took mechanical drafting in high school for a quarter, and got a C or D, so really, what could go wrong?

Thankfully, we have, hands down, the most beautiful soul as a contractor. He has great referrals and makes everything easier for us. He feels like an uncle, and is definitely 'family' to us already.

Here is what I've learned so far about the renovation process:

Week #1- Plan copies are made. GC makes many, many trips to the architect, county, lumber supply stores and your home.

Week #2- Supplies start to arrive via a forklift or flatbed. You are presented with invoices for many thousands of dollars. You cry quietly on the inside.

Week #3- The GC arrives and starts to measure things, scribbling/marking all over the walls, posts and floor with either a pencil, Sharpie or tape. There are so many markings, that your 9-year old says with great alarm the next day, "Look, mommy! Property damage!" Your contractor also whips out the plans and begins asking you questions about moving this joist here, or that post there, and by the way, is this all okay? You contemplate telling the contractor that he should just wait until your husband comes home (who does understand what is going on), but damnit! What would Gloria Steinem think?! So instead, you just smile and nod your head and approve all of the changes and hope that when he's done, you haven't authorized the Sistine Chapel in lieu of whatever the plans say.

Weeks #4-5- Sawdust. Lots and lost of sawdust. Judging from the amount of sawdust that has coated every surface in your home (despite closing every single window and door) and every inch of the bottoms of your feet, it would seem that you are building the Taj Majal.

But wow! After weeks of no major activity, suddenly the beams are up! And then the panel board! Now the roof! It's starting to look like a real structure and not just the domicile of a wood hoarder.

We removed part of the existing overhang so the pitch of the roof would be higher off and capitalize on the view. We also didn't want it to look like an after thought 'add on' to the house that was a separate structure.
It's starting to look a bit like an Amish barn raising! Progress!

Someone bolted out of the car after swim practice (so he's rocking the Speedos) once he saw me taking a picture of the house to send to his uncle in Seattle! I think it's hilarious. But I might be biased.
Amidst the craziness of many kind, skilled carpenters and roofers here helping us on the renovation, I celebrated my 43rd trip around the sun. And for a variety of reasons, it felt like a really, really special birthday. It wasn't the fanciest, and there was no big blowout. In fact, it wasn't particularly noteworthy other than I felt very loved and appreciated.
  • Despite a very hectic rehearsal and work schedule (for three weeks straight), Rich found the time to take Ryan and I out for Thai food that rocked. my. world. He also made a huge effort to schedule me the very best facial he could find on the west wide. I haven't had one in years...so it felt extra special. He also tried to give me another gift, but because I'm a tightwad Asian, my eyes bulged when I saw it and made him return it. Many friends have laughed when I tell them this, as they have done the same!
    Mango, dragon fruit and kiwi...thank you, mom!
  • My parents put on one heck of an amazing dinner of some of my favorite foods (which I forgot to photograph, except for this appetizer platter of fruit since it was my favorite dish of the night).
  • My dessert request for a simple tub of macadamia nut ice cream (in lieu of cake...not such a fan) was honored, though somehow this pumpkin pie crept onto the menu).
  • I had the company of my two nephews, two nieces and son that night...all the important kids in my life!
  • I enjoyed many phone calls, texts and messages from our friends and family. And I got some amazing unexpected love from a few friends- a gorgeous bouquet from my friend Y, my favorite candles from K, and grub from our family's favorite dinner spot from J! I felt the love, for sure.
We also ended summer, on I think, a high note. This is largely because the last week of school, Ryan no longer had any home school assignments. This is because his home school instructor did a very poor job, and was fired. In my defense, I had intentions of moving him up a grade level, but I think I just made things more confusing and worse (mathematically). My teacher friends suggested I back off and just let him enjoy the rest of summer, which I did, gladly. I couldn't take the tears of frustration I was witnessing, which I found out were not because of the student or the confusing math skills...it was because of...the sucky teacher. (Again, what could possibly go wrong with a C-/D+ student in math TEACHING math to others?! Apparently...plenty.) 

Quite frankly, it was relief to take off the teacher badge for the last week before school and just let him have fun. Ryan got to go to his second Skate Night with a few friends, bowling/arcade with another friend, a movie with grandma, swim for days at various friend's pools and/or the beach and played an unhealthy amount of Minecraft with friends. If it weren't for karate and swim, he'd definitely have turned into a piece of veal.


Our final days of summer weren't exactly cool and breezy though...we were locked up in a hot house trying to avoid the swirling sawdust from creeping into every crevice of our bodies. We also had to deal with a vermin infestation in the lower level of our property, a plumbing leak, a costly car repair (did you know AC compressors can cost $4100+? They can, just ask the fine makers of the Toyota Prius!), a tiling mishap/miscalculation, etc. It was overwhelming for about 48 hours, when everything seemed to happen at once, but today is a brighter day.

We did have a special moment amidst the chaos where we were able to donate all of our race medals over the years to a charity that recycles the medals into awards for sick kids (thanks, Big Island Running Company for sharing the info with us)! A tiny part of me was sad to say goodbye to such beautiful awards, but the other part of me knew that they weren't doing any good hanging in the garage. We really hope they put a smile on the face of a sick child somewhere, who is battling a hundred times harder each day just to survive. (Psst! If you live in Kona and have some dusty ones sitting around the house that you'd love to share, the store is collecting them until the end of the month.)

Today is Ryan's first day back to school. He's been my wingman, constant companion and opihi for two months now. I miss him, but I'm sure tomorrow, when I'm back in a classroom subbing all day for a first grade teacher, I won't have a single thought/worry other than "Don't lose the children." ;-) This is a good thing. I need to get outside of the renovation/normal worries for a bit and remember that life is not always about phone calls, emails and trips to Home Depot. It's also about celebrating the mechanic friend who came to our rescue on my car at 8am the day after it went out (though it's still not fixed), the plumbing contractor friend who also showed up at house today at 8 to take care of Ryan's shower. The neighbor who bought traps after rats gnawed through a dryer vent so we didn't have to. The parents who cooked me my three favorite dishes for my birthday. The son who hugged me and said he still wanted me to teach him after I told him I was fired. The roofers who laughed and joked with me and hauled out all the roofing material debris. The contractor who has become family. These are the moments to celebrate at forty three.

2 comments:

Laser Vision Boy said...

This is one of my favorite posts of yours. It is tough teaching children, especially your own. Don't be so hard on yourself. You two are great parents.

Jolene said...

Thank you! I appreciate that. It was a rough summer mathwise. He wasn't super into Khan Academy or his workbook...so it was a struggle!