Friday, May 25, 2018

Turning Ten (Part 2)

Young Master Ryan is officially ten years young! He's more than halfway through his time living with us, and soon I will need to microchip all four of his scrawny limbs (and torso) so I can release him out into the wild to be 'free' and 'independent' at college (Asians don't let go. Ever.).

We went in a totally different direction for his birthday party this year, because he's, y'know...double digits now. Practically a man. *cough cough* So instead of a semi-crazy baker's dozen of friends of all ages, he invited just 5 of his closest friends from school over for a Minecraft-playing, pinata swinging, donut-eating, trampoline-jumping fun fest. And we were so glad we did, a few of the kids commented on how they enjoyed the smaller group, as did Ryan.

The only downside was that Rich went in to work a 12-hour shift that day. But because it was my smallest/simplest party ever (though still far from simple, as I found out), I was fine with my stand-in spouse coming in to help (Ragni)!


I tried to go with a Minecraft-inspired menu- cubed 'pixelated' foods, Creeper shapes and child-friendly fare.
I should add that all of the green/black Creeper images were made with electrical tape. I refused to spend $35-40 on a few paper goods with Minecraft pictures on them. ;-) (So instead, it was FAAAAAR better to spend $3 on tape + $10 on paper goods and spend the better part of 17 days, hunched over, hand cutting each little piece of tape...) Keep that in mind the next time you think I'm reasonably bright. But Minecraft has already stolen enough of my retirement savings- we have their game in a fun variety of forms- for PS4, the 360, a PC version and a fourth version on my phone. So I took a stand, and damnit, look who's laughing now. (Not me.) :-( 

I was worried my 'pixelated' jello cubes would look too 'hospital food,' but I needn't have worried. The kids annihilated them!


Loving my sassy little mynah bird over there on the left!

Okay, these never get old! I love seeing them giggle and laugh like kids! We are nearing the days of scowling, eye rolling and locking themselves behind closed doors, so I'm holding on to these days!
I did a last minute pinata, as I didn't want the kids sitting on Minecraft all day. ;-)  And because I used a cardboard box vs. paper mache (which I can control the thickness of), I was worried it would break too quickly. And again- I need not have worried. This pinata was unbreakable. Like military-grade, indestructible. We finally took it down and let the kids maul it like a pack of lions. So for future reference- the Costco organic applesauce pouch box makes for one helluva pinata. 
The theme of the party was Minecraft, but the theme of his gifts was 'interior decorating.' Per his request, Ryan wanted to upgrade his bedroom from 'kid' to 'grown up' this year, so he requested gift cards or visits to stores that sell home goods. He picked everything from new sheets/towels/bathmats (because doesn't every 10 year old want those things?), to faux and real plants, wall art, furniture, lamps, etc.

Still a work in progress, and he's already since replaced the two mismatching lamps, but we're getting there!
But the birthday celebrations didn't end there. Grandpa also threw Ryan a birthday dinner one night after karate.
And he was sung to/hugged by his teacher/classmates one day after sharing popsicles to celebrate.
.

And because this was party weekend, he went to two other birthday parties that same weekend- one was at the arcade, and the other was at a new bouncy place. So this was a win of a weekend in his book! (It also taps out nearly all the retail fun available on our entire island.) ;-)

Perhaps it was all this partying that led to a recent illness that had him in bed one night for nearly 15 hours (I had to check for signs of life a few times), followed by a 2-hour power nap. This impressive 17-hour sleep session probably helped him quickly overcome whatever bug hit him with a solid 101.5 fever for about 20 hours. Interestingly, it was the sickest he's likely ever been, and yet it passed so quickly...just grateful he'll be better in time for the long weekend (which he made even longer thanks to his fever)! (Sneaky little thing! I am keeping an eye on him.)

All else is well in K-town. Though the media would have you believe that we're all in imminent danger from the lava, this is the best example of what's truly going here:

No automatic alt text available.
Business as usual for 99.5% of the island...which doesn't diminish the terror/tragedy going on in Lanipuna  Gardens & Leilani Estates, but it's just a teensy area that is affected now that most of the rockin' earthquakes have stopped.
Air quality and visibility are poor, but most of us are unaffected and are used to the vog, so again, it's business as usual.

That being said, the only thing left to say is that I appear to have NOT gotten a job I was hoping for, despite many interviews and ZERO follow up from them. However, I am still very grateful and content to stay where I am (with friends, flexible family-friendly hours). Summer will soon be upon us, and despite two of Ryan's closest friends taking off for many exotics destinations, we are determined to learn some serious Nihongo before we head back to Japan for language school. But for now, we have a very fun week ahead for Ryan- a field trip, a sleepover and a visit from his godmother (some of the best things about being ten). :-)




No comments: