Sunday, July 26, 2020

Quarantine life in the islands (Month #4)

As we start to enter our fifth month of quarantine/no visitors...things are about to shift with the federal Unemployment boost ending and it affecting so many that live here. So many are still unemployed or underemployed, so our town is still eerily empty. It's hard to enjoy the unexpected pleasure of a reduced commute amidst the economic pain of others, so I'll just say that I join bazillions of others in saying I crave normalcy. 

Although I was always secretly thrilled to drive on traffic-less roads and have less social events, it was always negating the fact that children and the elderly were stuck at home paying the price. Yes, it's hardly a physical sacrifice compared to prior generations laboring in fields or getting slaughtered in battlefields. But there are still physical and psychological implications of a never-ending quarantine, not to mention financial. 

No one I know is exempt from the impact of this pandemic. I hope things get better sooner than we all expect. Our tourism-dependent island is suffering, and I don't see it recovering for many 4-5 years, if not more. 9/11 wreaked havoc that took many, many years to recover from, and it was NO where near as financially devastating as this has been.

One side effect of whenever the islands goes empty is that hotels and tour companies start to offer deals to the only potential clientele that remain- the local residents.

The activities are still not cheap, but they're certainly a lot cheaper than normal. (Nothing is cheap on island.) Even though many of these companies forget we exist most of the time, and only lower rates out of necessity- I look at it like this- if we can afford to help support other local businesses, and our son can have some fun? Well then let's roll, folks. Also, why be a martyr? If you can have some fun- go for it it.

So we splurged and booked a few activities for Ryan, recently. To be honest, he's done both of these activities when he was younger, but he doesn't remember all that much about either of them.

In late June, I booked Rich and Ry enjoyed a deluxe dolphin encounter. It's a total of 45 min, with 30 of those in the water with the dolphins. Even better, it was private (due to COVID safety). So although it was still about $300+ with tip and a picture, it was still half price. Ryan LOVED it. Rich LOVED it. Aside from the very serious ethical implications of housing dolphins in a lagoon their entire life for 'research' and 'educational' purposes, who wouldn't love to frolic with seemingly happy, healthy dolphins? NO ONE. Even that lyrical, poetic, genius Trump would have to say it was, 'Fabulous. Tremendous. Best experience ever. Covfefe.' Most of the dolphins were born there, and the original ones, as I understand it, were rescued. It doesn't justify their captivity, but they appear healthy, happy and safe.






And then this month, I booked Ryan, Rich and the two cousins, Keni and Riki, a ziplining experience at Umauma Falls. Again, they've all ziplined before, but it's been a few years, and it was also half price at about $80+tip/each for a 7-8 line experience over some incredible waterfalls.













We have had little else to do over this quarantine other than beach days, fishing and game nights with our social bubble (honestly, a good thing). 

We've also been excited about Ryan's interest in freediving, thanks to his cousin Keni, and his friends taking him out a few times.

Rich has also had him help with a few home projects...he grudgingly assembled our new BBQ grill a week ago, and also helped Rich patch in a large doggie door from the original builder's pets. Although those projects were as enjoyable for him as watching a football game, we are grateful he's learning.

On that note, his summer online learning has been minimal. Pre-pandemic, I thought it's be a great opportunity to ramp up his math and writing skills. He strongly disagreed. ;-) So we've compromised on math/reading/writing a few days a week, but he has traded tech time for more social time, and I think it's been a fair compromise we were suckered into. ;-)











And last but not least, we've had a few parties here (calm down, mostly family and a few friends from the social bubble). One night was Italian night, one was Japanese, one was American, and on two separate nights, it was Mexican (Rich's favorite).


Very much in love with my chilled condiment tray, and my taco stands (not pictured). We even had a pinata and mariachi music to keep things real. (Corny, and real...)




This wraps up the most recent months in quarantine, which in picture, definitely do not appear to give off the appearance of suffering. :-D But I assure you, we are all bored in the house, bored in the house, bored. Just in a pretty place. ;-)

No comments: