The weeks are flying by! It feels like we have had something 'big' to do every weekend, and will remain that way until we leave in Nov. Camping...cottage stays...birthdays (my mom, Riki, Joel and my dad are all within five weeks of one another)...our final garage sale...pumpkin carving, a Halloween bonanza...our trip...and then the holidays. Lots to do, and a wonderful distraction from the monotony of work/sleep/repeat.
Here's a rundown of our last month or so...
We went camping! (Well, I sort of went camping. I came back home to sleep! Ha ha!) But we made sure Ry and his friends had a great change to hang out for a few days.
We are changing things up in our bedrooms. By 'we' I mean Ryan is doing everything in his room, and I am nagging him to keep it cleaned up and decent (it is NOT most days). In our room, we also had a minor facelift, but I haven't captured it on film yet. It's a similar vibe to Ryan's room though.
Once I get over my PF, I hope to run a few more races. I realized I don't want to throw in the towel just yet. I may be chunkier, older, and injured...but I still want to run far again.
The craziest dream I have is to run 50 miles once I turn 50. The reality is that it won't be fast, but it'll be another notch on my ultra running belt, as I have done a 50k twice, but never a 50-miler.
So if I can get over this 2-year bout of PF (my Achilles tendonitis was about the same amount of time), I can start training for that. I have time...as I'm 'only' 47.
With case numbers back under control on the Big Island, Rich and Ry made their second post-COVID trek to a movie. I have yet to see one. Per Ryan, the movie was 'okay' but the popcorn was a win (he really is MY son!) and made it worth it. Truly sad to see how brutal COVID has been on theatres...I hope they survive!
We are trip planning again! We last traveled exactly two years ago, in Nov of 2020 to Cambodia. Our next trip, in Feb of 2020, to Croatia and France, was cancelled. We opted not to return to Croatia at the moment (although at some point, we will), and will be headed to western Europe instead- Scotland and Ireland. Three days in Edinburgh, then another 3-4 days driving around the rest of the country (mostly to the Scottish Highlands/Loch Ness area. Then a quick flight to Dublin for three days, followed by 4-5 days driving up to Belfast, then down to the Cliffs of Moher and Ring of Kerry. So we'll have a nice urban experience, followed by remote windswept countryside, narrow two-lane roads.
I am over the moon excited to get off the rock, but also a bit bittersweet, in that my parents won't be able to join us on this jaunt just yet. My mom has been unsteady on her feet for half this pandemic, and despite many tests, PT and exams, they are unsure why she is off balance. My dad doesn't feel safe having her travel for that reason and COVID...so we are hopeful things improve on our next trip. I have promised her, no matter what, at least one more trip to Japan...even if we have to push her in a wheelchair and carry her down into the train stations (and we will have to do that). But it will be worth it!
No comments:
Post a Comment